Social marketing is used to develop activities aimed to change people’s behavior that could benefit society as a whole. The social marketing is a tool that influences behavior in a cost-effective way. It will help you to decide:
- What type of people to work with?
- What type of behavior will be influenced?
- How to move forward and measure it?
Social marketing is a planned process, and the goal is to change how people behave. They implement policy goals which are realistic and ensure the policy is based on understanding people’s life. The marketing strategies will help you to target your resource cost effectively.
The marketing strategies will be implemented in such a way, product and services will be developed it fits people’s need and motivation.
Where is Social Marketing Applied?
The main aim of social marketing is a social good, and they are applied in several ways, such as asking people not to smoke in public areas, using a helmet and seat belts while driving vehicles and making people to follow speed limits. Few other things which are included in social marketing are:
- Anti-pollution campaign
- Health promotion campaigns
- AID awareness programs
- Anti-drug campaigns
- Road safety campaigns
Impact of Social Marketing
- Social marketing has been focused on priority behaviors which can influence the public about the social determinants of health.
- The marketing programs have a great chance of becoming successful if they are approached influencing the psychological and environmental factors that influence how people behave.
- It can be helped to make the cost-effective use of public resources by utilizing the opportunities within communities and taking preventive action against upcoming social problems.
- Government sectors, NGO’s and private sectors can work together on a platform so that they meet success by providing evidence of sustained behavior change.
Effects of Social Marketing
Social marketing is a long-term approach to change human behavior. The marketing strategies may not always give you success. If behavior and attitude change, this could encourage marketing managers to move forward. The marketing strategies are implemented for everyone in the society. The target for marketing varies with society.
Several campaigns have brought a positive effect on people such as using plastic shopping bags and throwing away every day making it harmful for our environment. A negative campaign that warns about the consequences is very effective such as using drugs and saving the rainforest.